Note: Braid length will vary slightly from one roll to the next (+/- 2%).
This is a 100 foot spool of our high-quality, 3/16" wide tinned copper braid (non-magnetic) that is approximately .030" thick (see tab labeled "FAQ" for more information). This braid provides excellent electrical connectivity with very high "ampacity" (safe current carrying capacity) without the drawbacks of copper tape (e.g. limited ampacity, breakage, lifting, electrical connectivity issues). The 3/16" track braid we offer is also compatible with several other track building components we offer such as router bits and braid rollers. Unlike the flimsy metal spools some of our competitors use, our braid is spooled on high-quality, heavy duty plastic spools. These spools provide much better protection for the braid during shipment.
Tip - All braid has a fine residue from the manufacturing process. For best adhesion, clean the braid in a well ventilated area by wiping the braid lightly with a lint-free rag soaked in lacquer thinner prior to installation. Use rubber gloves and follow all applicable safety precautions. Once clean, avoid touching the braid surface to ensure best tape adhesion.
- Q) How thick is this braid? A) The manufacturer's specification data for this braid indicates the thickness is .030"; however, actual thickness is typically between .024" - .026".
- Q) How deep should the braid recess ("gain") be? A) Braid should be recessed slightly - generally between .010" to .020" below the racing surface. To set the router bit depth, follow these steps:
- Use a scrap piece of MDF. Route a test slot 12 - 18 inches long.
- Set the router bit that will cut the recess to a depth of .040"
- Route a test recess.
- Place a piece of track braid in the test recess.
- The top of the braid should be .010" to .020" below the MDF surface.
- Adjust the router bit depth and route another test slot (if necessary) and test gain.
- Repeat until the desired braid recess is achieved.